Urine odor can be a persistent and unpleasant problem, especially if it has soaked into fabrics like clothing, bedding, or carpets. While there are many DIY solutions that people often suggest, laundry detergent is a commonly recommended solution for removing urine odor from fabric. But, does laundry detergent actually work to remove urine odor?
Does Laundry Detergent Remove Urine Odor
Laundry detergent can be effective in removing urine odor from fabrics. Urine odor is caused by bacteria that thrive in the warm, moist environment created by urine. Laundry detergents are designed to break down and remove organic matter, including bacteria, from fabrics.
Therefore, using laundry detergent to wash fabrics that have been soiled with urine can help to eliminate the odor.
However, some detergents are better at removing odors than others, and some may not be effective at all.
Additionally, using too little detergent or washing at a low temperature can also reduce the effectiveness of the detergent.
What Laundry Detergent Removes Urine Smell?
When it comes to removing urine smell from laundry, there are many different laundry detergents that can be effective. Some of the best options for removing urine odor include:
- Tide Original HE Turbo Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent – Tide is a popular laundry detergent brand that is known for its effectiveness in removing tough stains and odors. The original formula is a good choice for removing urine odor, and the HE Turbo Clean version is designed for high-efficiency washing machines.
- Persil ProClean Power-Liquid Laundry Detergent – Another popular detergent brand, Persil ProClean is known for its powerful cleaning abilities. The Power-Liquid formula is a good choice for removing urine odor, and it also works well on other tough stains.
- Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Odor Blasters Liquid Laundry Detergent – This detergent is specifically designed to combat tough odors, making it a great choice for removing urine odor. It contains baking soda and OxiClean to help lift stains and eliminate odors.
- Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent – For those who prefer a more eco-friendly option, Seventh Generation offers a concentrated laundry detergent that is free from dyes and artificial fragrances. The formula is designed to be tough on stains and odors, making it a good choice for removing urine odor.
How Do You Get Old Urine Smell Out of Clothes?
Getting old urine smell out of clothes can be a challenging task, but there are several methods that can be effective. Here are some steps to follow to remove the odor:
- Soak the clothes: First, soak the clothes in a solution of warm water and laundry detergent for at least an hour. Use a detergent that is designed to combat odors, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the appropriate amount to use.
- Rinse thoroughly: After soaking, rinse the clothes thoroughly to remove any remaining detergent.
- Apply a vinegar solution: Mix equal parts water and white vinegar, and apply the solution to the affected area of the clothes. Allow the solution to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse again: Rinse the clothes again to remove the vinegar solution.
- Use an enzymatic cleaner: If the odor persists, use an enzymatic cleaner designed specifically for removing urine odor. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the appropriate amount to use, and allow the cleaner to sit on the clothes for the recommended amount of time.
- Wash the clothes: Finally, wash the clothes in the washing machine with a detergent designed to combat odors. Use the hottest water setting that is safe for the fabric, and add a cup of baking soda to the wash cycle.
After washing, check the clothes for any remaining odor. If the odor is still present, repeat the above steps until the odor is gone.
Ultimately, the best laundry detergent for removing urine smell will depend on personal preference and the specific needs of the situation. It’s important to choose a detergent that is designed to combat odors and to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the best results. Additionally, adding a pre-treatment or stain remover and washing at a high temperature can also help to increase the effectiveness of the detergent.